Department of Merchant Shipping Circular No. 08/2016 : New UN and EU instruments concerning restrictive measures against members of the ISIL (Da’esh) and Al-Qaida organizations, and other individuals, groups, undertakings and entities associated with them.
As per Circular No.08/2016 of the Department of Merchant Shipping of Cyprus issued on 30th March 2016 we wish to inform you that the below instruments which enhance restrictive measures against members of ISIL and Al-Qaida organizations have been adopted :
- United Nations Security Council Resolution (UNSCR) 2253 (2015) dated 17th December 2015;
- EU Council Decision (CFSP) 2016/368 of 14th March 2016 amending EU Council Common Position 2002/402/CFSP;
- Council Regulation (EU) 2016/363 of 14th March 2016 amending Regulation (EC) No. 881/2002.
The effect of these instruments is to extend the application of the restrictive measures to both people and entities associated with ISIL (Da’esh) which means that all previously issued UNSCRs along with Circular No.19/2012 of the DMS and the National Prohibition Order P.I. 123/2012 all are applicable to ISIL (Da’esh) as well.
So as per the National Prohibition Order P.I. 124/2012, it is prohibited by Cyprus ships to transport:
- Weapons and ammunition;
- Military vehicles and equipment ;
- Paramilitary equipment and spare parts;
to any members of the ISIL (Da’esh) and Al-Qaida organisations and individuals, groups, undertakings or entities associated or controlled directly or indirectly as defined by EU Council Decision (CFSP) 2016/368 that participate in financing, planning, facilitating or perpetrating acts or activities in connection with
- Supplying, selling or transferring arms and related materials;
- Recruiting or supporting acts or activities ;
Further, UNSCR 2253 (2015) provides that Member States should cooperate with their public and private sector to ;
- Exercise vigilance over transactions and improve information sharing practices;
- Promote awareness of ISIL (Da’esh) and Al-Qaida sanctions list;
- Ensure no financial resources are made available to ISIL (Da’esh) and Al-Qaida;
- Ensure no donations are made to individuals or entities designated by the Committee or those acting on their behalf
- Promote vigilance to those people and entities that are involved in the production, sale, supply, transfer or storage of explosives or raw materials used to manufacture explosives or unconventional weapons;
For access to the newly adopted instruments please visit below
- United Nations Security Council Resolution (UNSCR) 2253 (2015) http://www.un.org/en/ga/search/view_doc.asp?symbol=S/RES/2253(2015)
- EU Council Decision (CFSP) 2016/368 http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=uriserv:OJ.L_.2016.068.01.0017.01.ENG&toc=OJ:L:2016:068:TOC
- Council Regulation (EU) 2016/363 http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?toc=OJ%3AL%3A2016%3A068%3ATOC&uri=uriserv%3AOJ.L_.2016.068.01.0001.01.ENG