As per Circular No.18/2016 of the Department of Merchant Shipping of Cyprus issued on 16th June we note that the format of page 2 of the Seafarers’ Identification and Sea Service Record Book (SISSRB) has been revised. As there were misinterpretations during Port State Control inspections the field Certificate of Maritime Competence has been deleted. Namely misinterpretations occured when the seafarer was promoted and the capacity mentioned on the SISSRB was not the same as on his/her Certificate of Competency.
Further the Cyprus SISSRB serves as an identification document to register the seafarer’s sea service and it is neither a travelling document or a certificate of competency. Finally as the requirements for Cyprus SISSRBs are national requirements any Port State Control Authorities cannot delay or detain Cyprus Ships for reasons concerning SISSRB.
The above circular No.18/2016 compliments the following circulars:
- Circular No.14/2001 dated 29th June 2001
- Circular No. 02/2005 dated 25th January 2005
- Circular No. 25/2007 dated 19th December 2007
- Circular No. 11/2009 dated 26th May 2009
- Circular No. 44/2011 dated 18th November 2011 and
- Circular No. 60/2012 dated 13th November 2012