Measures to improve compliance of ships flying the Cyprus Flag calling in ports of the United States of America (USA)
Further to Circular no 27/2016 of the Department of Merchant Shipping (the “DMS”), issued on the 9th of September 2016, due to the constant increase in the number of ships that are flying the Cyprus flag being detained in USA ports, the DMS decided to introduce some measures in order to improve compliance of the ships and to remove Cyprus from the United States Coast Guard (the “USCG”) Target List (safety). The relevant measures will be applicable for all ships flying the Cyprus Flag calling in USA ports from the 1st of October 2016.
Accordingly, all ships flying the Cyprus Flag calling in USA ports are required to forward the below-mentioned documents to the DMS (email@example.com):
- a copy of the Notice of Arrival (NOA) when communicating the aforesaid information to the USCG;
- at least 24 hours prior to arrival in a USA port, the form shown in Annex 1 duly completed and signed.
Please see here the pre-arrival-checklist
For more information refer to:
- Circular No 9/1998 – available at: http://www.mcw.gov.cy/mcw/dms/dms.nsf/All/812656061BA109CCC225751D00308AC2/$FILE/9-98%20(16-03-1998).pdf?OpenElement
- Circular No 29/2006 – available at: http://www.mcw.gov.cy/mcw/dms/dms.nsf/All/CF5D5D1D874CF8CAC225751B002F3875/$file/29-2006(11.12.2006).pdf?OpenElement
- Circular 26/2016 – available at: http://www.mcw.gov.cy/mcw/dms/dms.nsf/All/BB23E169106EC346C225802D00445C1C/$file/26-2016%20(09-09-2016).pdf?OpenElement